Recently

October 8, 2014

Farm Day

Every year the Homestead Creamery puts on a free Farm Day for the public at a dairy farm in Wirtz (about 25 minutes from our house), and let me tell you, it is a little gem of an event. 



We have been out of town for this every year we've lived here, so I wasn't going to let the fact that Sam was working keep me from taking the girls because they only do it for the one day. After taking the "scenic route" thanks to Apple maps (read: 4 left turns that took 15 minutes instead of just telling me I missed my turn), we arrived at the well organized parking area. Managing the stroller through a hilly cornfield wasn't easy, but it was so worth it to hear Harper gasp when we crested the hill and she saw all the activities. 

A beautiful, wide open field with tons of farm equipment for the kiddos to explore, a tractor barrel train, pony rides, a horse drawn wagon ride, petting zoo, food vendors, and an area to meet and milk the cows. All but the food was 100% free. Isn't that amazing?  I'm sure it works out well for Homestead Creamery, since lots of moms like myself probably leave there thinking, "of course my kiddos need this delicious, $9-a-gallon milk delivered to our doorstep on a subscription service..." but I still think it is a really neat thing for them to offer the community. 

The first thing we went to was the barrel train, and oh my goodness, Willa rode it by herself, and without being terrified!  Miracles!  That baby girl can be so unsure of new things. But, she did it. Go, tough girl!

Sweet Girls on the Barrel Train
 



That bravery evaporated by the time we reached the pony rides. Wills was having no part of it, but Harper picked out her pony, grabbed the saddle, put her foot up in the stirrup, and threw her leg over the pony to the amazement of the the farm staff helping the kids. When the lady said she was impressed, Harper was quick to tell her she had done it before with her poppy. 






Next, we all enjoyed a horse drawn wagon ride. It was fun to explain to the girls how our wagon didn't have a motor or batteries, we were moving all because of the horses' power. Harp was impressed with how fast they could pull us. 

Not surprisingly, Harper's favorite part was running around the barn, meeting the cows and kicking up sawdust. That child was made to live on a farm. She got a chance to say hello to Phyllis the cow, and even was able to try her hand at milking a cow. How neat is that?  









My favorite part may have been the fresh made (as in right in front of you) donuts. While all the activities were free, the food available was not, but let me tell you, that $3 donut was worth every cent and every calorie. Delish. 








Though we were all pretty tired after 3 hours on the farm, I am so glad we went. It is amazing how your perspective changes and your confidence grows as a parent. When Harper was first born, I was terrified at the thought of going out in public with her by myself. A year ago, I would have never chanced the potential disaster of trying to take both girls out for the day alone. But, the more you just do it, the more you see it can be done. And it can be fun. Sometimes you end up taking the walk of shame and vow to not leave the house for 10 years, but more often than not, you manage. And you certainly make a lot more memories. 

No comments

Post a Comment


UP