Recently

May 8, 2016

Mother's Day 2016


I can never say "thank you" enough for the blessing of being these two girls' mama.  It is the most humbling, gratifying, exhausting experience of my life, and I feel pretty certain it will always be that way.  Because the day these girls were born, who I am changed.  I hate the saying that motherhood is the hardest job you'll ever love because it's not a job.  It isn't like my work at Pfizer.  I can't just quit being a mom (though I feel pretty certain there are some "moms" that have never truly grasped motherhood).  I can't turn it off.  I can't just walk away, because it's not a job.  It's who I am.  So, I'll love and pray and cry and bless and yell (eek, I'm working on that) over these babies of mine for as long as I'm alive. 


And one of my favorite parts of motherhood has been being able to recognize and comprehend the immense love my own mother has for me. And it makes me sad every year that I don't get to hug her in person on Mother's Day.  Some years we're together; others we're not.  Unfortunately, we knew this year would be a "not" since we're planning to get together for Memorial Day.  Originally, it looked like Mom and Butch would be solo in Dandridge for Mother's Day, so I made sure to order her "something special" (a bangle with a charm for each grandkiddo a la Etsy) well in advance so she'd have something to open, and I commissioned the first lady of First Baptist Church of Dandridge who owns Cookies on Occasion (she also did Harper's birthday cookie favors) to surprise Mom with a Mother's Day themed cookie set at church.  I wanted it to feel a bit like a hug from me, so that she'd know she's so important to us and that we were thinking of her.  And, I mean for serious.  Look how cute she is. 


 
The whole Fertitta crew met at Ragazzi's to celebrate Mother's Day together and one last hoorah of Harper's birthday.  It feels like she should be 15 after all these birthdays.  :)    (here and here

 




I love my little family.  And days like today remind me just how much.

No comments

Post a Comment


UP