Recently

March 16, 2015

Five Years in Heaven

Some of my most cherished memories of my grandfather "Pap" are the evenings I spent at his kitchen table, pouring over old family trees. He was the family historian and had spent a considerable amount of time tracing back his roots. Pappers knew I loved pictures and a good backstory, so it was an easy way for us to connect. I got the chance to learn about where I came from-- not just about the people whose names I had never even heard before but also about my very own grandpa standing across the table from me. I got to hear his accounts of these distant relatives, memories from his childhood, or how he came across that person's tie to our family tree. 


The fall before he passed away, I had the joy of telling him Sam and I were expecting-- the baby would be his first great grandchild. Now, all these names listed on the branches of the Hanshew family tree had potential to be used again. We would laugh about whether she would be baby Druzilla or Bertha. 



During the course of my pregnancy, the cancer he had fought for two years became even more aggressive. His only chance to "meet" our baby was from his hospital bed set up in the back bedroom.  I had gone to have a 3D ultrasound at an office in Charleston, and stopped by to see him and Bubba afterward.  When he heard me talking in the kitchen, he called out that he wanted to see a picture of the baby. He was broken, literally on his death bed, but he wanted to greet this new life. My most favorite memory of my stoic grandfather. 


He passed away just a few days later, March 16, 2010. He's been at Peace five years today.  I rejoice for his new body and his life eternal, but I also ache that he didn't get to meet the little blonde running around named after him and his bride. I'm sure he never would have guessed our family would see another "resolute protector," as both their names mean. If he were here, I'm sure he would've given me a hard time about saddling her such an "awful" name. :). I'm thankful for all the ways he shaped and guided our family, and the legacy he left behind-- One I'm proud to tell my little Willa Kate all about. 

Bill Sunday Hanshew, Jr. 
January 11, 1935- March 16, 2010

"God's way is perfect. All the Lord's promises prove true. He is a shield for all who look to Him for protection."  Psalm 18:2

No comments

Post a Comment


UP