Recently

March 18, 2015

St. Patrick's Day

My mom was such a Pinterest mom before there even was Pinterest.  Or blogs.  Or even the internet.  She would come up with festive ways to celebrate even the "little" holidays like St. Patrick's Day.  Leah and I would come down for breakfast to find little leprechauns had dyed our milk green and left us Lucky Charms to eat for breakfast.  In retrospect, Mom loses a little bit of credit, since I'm pretty sure she did that just so we would search the house for an hour for our teeny, tiny visitors and she could then drink her coffee in peace.  Well played, Mom.  Well played. 



You will likely never see me with a creative enough idea to go viral on Pinterest, but the popularity of Elf on the Shelf in our home means the ante has been raised for the other holidays.  Harper especially is eating up every bit of tradition, celebration, festivity. So when she caught wind of leprechauns coming around near St. Paddy's Day, she was on giddy high alert, and I wanted to make it fun for her.

Harper goes to preschool Monday/Wednesday/Friday, so they "celebrated" the luck of the Irish a day early. I was amazed to hear her come home and tell me all about how people may pinch you if you don't wear green and that the day is about a man who was from England and was kidnapped by pirates (not the Jake and the Neverland pirate kind, she noted) and taken to Ireland but loved it so much that even once he was freed, he chose to go back to Ireland.  What?  Turns out it's true (ish).   
 

Christmas made its way into SPD in that we needed to make a treat to set out for the little leprechauns coming to visit our house, and green Rice Krispies with Lucky Charm marshmallows sounded like just the thing. So while I was cooking dinner (ok, assembling dinner), the girls got to dig through a giant bowl of Lucky Charms to hand select each marshmallow.  They did so much better than I would have... how can you not just eat them?!  I think Harper had a healthy dose of paranoia about the leprechauns so I don't think she wanted to chance stealing their Lucky Charms.  Ha!  So, while the girls chowed down on their spinach turkey wraps, I whipped our SPDRKT.  Y'know, our St. Paddy's Day Rice Krispie Treats.


Pretend they are supposed to look tie dyed.  ;)

 

Those sneaky leprechauns did find their way into our house, and sure enough, we ended up with green milk.  Mommy may have been paranoid about not waking up in time to sneak down and dye the milk before Harper went down to check, so I may or may not have dyed the whole half gallon the night before just to be sure.  Eliminating food dyes may have to be on next year's resolutions.  :)  Love these little girls and all the fun I get to have with them!

No comments

Post a Comment


UP